Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Ladder Truck

Meridian Fire Dept. Truck 31


Shawna and the kids recently attended the ribbon cutting ceremony for our new ladder truck. I couldn't go because I was on shift that day, but heard that everything went great and the boys had a blast going for a ride in the ladder bucket.
This is our first truck at MFD so everybody is really excited about getting it in service and training with it. (Sidenote - A "fire truck" is just like this, with a big ladder on its top, a "fire engine" is what I drive, with a tank full of water inside it.) With so many new tall buildings under construction in our city, the 100-foot "stick" became a need. It will also change the way we fight fires in a lot of different situations.
I've been able to go out and "play" with the truck a little bit while working, and will do some more training with it next week. It's a pretty cool feeling to get that ladder extended all the way up and look down at the city below you. One thing I noticed is that the higher up you go, the less aware you are of how fast the ladder is extending. You think you're going slow and then look back at the ladder and realize how fast it's going. It will also be weird to get used to driving something that much bigger than an engine is.
I would love to have the truck as my permanent apparatus to drive, but since I'm far down the line in seniority, it will be a few years before I can bid on the truck. Until then, I'll be content to drive my engine around.


Dylan and Austin excited to go for a ride.Safety belts on and ready to climb in the bucket.


Hope they aren't afraid of heights!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

oooo. its so shiney!